A video released July 6 by immediate past Southern Baptist Convention (SBC) President Ronnie Floyd condenses 17 hours of proceedings from the June 14-15 SBC annual meeting in St. Louis into a 20-minute highlight reel.
Baptist Press screen grab
“This video may be just a personal blessing to you or something you may want to share with your church or through social networking,” Floyd, pastor of Cross Church in northwest Arkansas, wrote in a blog post announcing the video. “To God’s glory, we left St. Louis after back-to-back historic days. Let these highlights encourage you about our cooperative work to reach the world for Christ.”
Produced by the Cross Church communications team, the video recaps the annual meeting’s emphases on unity, the work of SBC entities and prayer for spiritual awakening in America.
Among the highlights:
- A two-minute recap of Floyd’s presidential address, in which he told messengers “the stakes are high” in America today and called for awakening, evangelism and racial reconciliation.
- North Carolina pastor J.D. Greear’s withdrawal from the presidential election prior to the third ballot and Tennessee pastor Steve Gaines’ election by acclamation.
- Excerpts from the Tuesday-night Call to Prayer, including comments by special guests Jerry Young, president of the National Baptist Convention U.S.A., Inc.; Greg Laurie, evangelist and pastor of Harvest Christian Fellowship in Riverside, Calif.; and Sen. James Lankford, R-Okla.
- The convention’s adoption of a resolution “on sensitivity and unity regarding the Confederate battle flag.”
- Two panel discussions moderated by Floyd, one on racial unity and another on pastors and politics.
- Reports to the 7,300 registered messengers from all SBC entity presidents, SBC Executive Committee President Frank S. Page and Woman’s Missionary Union executive director/treasurer Wanda Lee.
- The convention sermon by Ted Traylor, pastor of Olive Baptist Church in Pensacola, Fla.
- The meetings’ closing “handoff” to Southern Baptist leaders in Phoenix, the site of next year’s annual meeting.
“May the video … encourage you, bless you, challenge you, and perhaps help you and your church celebrate God’s work through us as Southern Baptists,” Floyd wrote.
The direct link to the SBC 2016 Annual Meeting Recap is vimeo.com/172459390.
Watch the 2016 Annual Meeting Recap: