Vacation Bible School (VBS) is a significant way your church can open the door to the surrounding community. You may think VBS is only for children and not for you, but VBS is most successful when the church embraces it as a total church ministry. Here are ways you can help in sharing the work of VBS:
- Pray before VBS for the leaders, children and families they represent.
- Pray for good weather and health for teachers and their families.
- Pray for receptive hearts for the children who may be hearing the gospel for the first time.
- Distribute flyers and posters in your neighborhood.
- Transport children to VBS.
- Offer to drive the church van to pick up children whose parents may be working.
- Donate children’s snacks or sponsor a special treat for the teachers’ lounge. This is a great ministry for a Sunday School class.
- If your church orders VBS T-shirts, manage the order and distribution of the shirts.
- Cut out materials for leaders.
- Shop for VBS supplies.
- Help with decorating the classroom.
- Be an escort for VBS guests who need to find classrooms.
- Collect and maintain VBS attendance records.
- Be a department runner, helping teachers with last-minutes supplies or copies.
- Help plan or clean up after a teacher training event or parent night.
- Invite unchurched families to Sunday School or a small group meeting.
- Add your name to the substitute teacher list.
- Pray for children who made professions of faith.
- Pray for the families who need to hear the message of Christ and those from your church who will make this happen.
- Pray for the Holy Spirit to continue His work in the life of your church and children’s ministry.
Think VBS is not for you? Think again! God has a place for you in this wonderful ministry. Just pick one of the listed items above and get started!
(EDITOR’S NOTE – Cheryl Markland is the childhood ministry consultant for the Baptist State Convention of North Carolina.)