The 2017 annual meeting of the Baptist State Convention of North Carolina (BSC) is quickly approaching (Nov. 6-7). Prior to the fall of the gavel opening the first session, numerous BSC committees will complete the work necessary to facilitate an annual meeting.
One of the committees essential for the smooth operation of an annual meeting is the Committee on Resolutions and Memorials.
An important deadline for the work of this committee is Sept. 10.
This is the final date to submit any resolution that can be considered by the messengers to the annual meeting. Resolutions must be submitted in writing.
The Resolutions and Memorials Committee accepts submissions via email or standard mail. Please email resolutions to Penny Cozzadd at [email protected] or mail resolutions to Committee on Resolutions and Memorials, 205 Convention Drive, Cary, NC 27511.
It is important to understand that individuals may not bring resolutions directly to the floor of the convention for consideration. The bylaws require that the Committee on Resolutions and Memorials must first receive and consider all resolutions.
The Committee on Resolutions and Memorials is authorized to accept a submitted resolution as is, edit a resolution or reject a resolution in whole.
This committee is required to place the resolutions it will bring to the annual meeting for consideration on the BSC’s website (ncbaptist.org) fourteen (14) days in advance of the annual meeting.
They are also required to notify the Biblical Recorder that the full text of the resolutions can be found on the BSC’s website.
If the Committee on Resolutions and Memorials rejects a resolution in whole, the individual submitting the resolution is notified so they may determine whether or not they wish to follow the prescribed process for bringing a committee-rejected resolution to the floor of the convention for consideration.
When a properly submitted resolution has been rejected in whole by the Committee on Resolutions and Memorials an individual may still bring the resolution to the convention floor if the following conditions are met:
- The individual submits the resolution to the board secretary twenty-one (21) days in advance of the annual meeting. The full text of the resolution will be placed on the BSC’s website at least fourteen (14) days in advance of the annual meeting. In addition, the resolution may be available on the Biblical Recorder’s website (BRnow.org).
- The individual provides notice in the Biblical Recorder with a publication date more than fourteen (14) days in advance of the annual meeting that the full text of the resolution will be available on the BSC’s website. It is not necessary for the full resolution to appear in a printed edition of the Biblical Recorder, but it is necessary for a notice (announcement) to be placed in the Biblical Recorder indicating that the full resolution can be found on the BSC’s website.
- The individual submitting the resolution must register as a messenger and present the resolution during the appropriate business session during the annual meeting. If there is any question as to when it is appropriate to present the resolution, messengers are encouraged to speak with a convention parliamentarian.
- The messengers to the annual meeting must agree to hear the proposed resolution, requiring 2/3 majority vote, contrary to the decision of the Committee on Resolutions and Memorials.
- Should you have questions about the process for submitting resolutions, please do not hesitate to contact me at [email protected]ptist.org or (800) 395-5102, ext. 5506. I will be glad to address your questions or connect you with one of the parliamentarians who will be glad to assist you.
We look forward to seeing you in Greensboro for the 187th annual meeting of the convention.
(EDITOR’S NOTE – Brian K. Davis is associate executive director-treasurer of the Baptist State Convention of North Carolina. He can be reached at (800) 395-5102, ext. 5506, or [email protected].)