More than 1,000 messengers from Baptist churches across North Carolina gathered at the Joseph S. Koury Convention Center in Greensboro on Monday, Nov. 7 for the opening session of the 192nd annual meeting of the Baptist State Convention of North Carolina (BSC). The theme of this year’s meeting is “On Mission Together” based on Hebrews 10:23-25.
- As of 5:39 p.m. Monday, 438 pastors, 183 pastor’s wives, 250 church staff and 229 laity registered for this year’s annual meeting for a total of 1,100 messengers. An additional 219 visitors registered for an opening-session total of 1,319 in attendance.
- Messengers approved a motion for next year’s annual meeting to be held Nov. 6-7, 2023, at the Joseph S. Koury Convention Center in Greensboro.
- Matt Carter, mobilization vice president of the North American Mission Board’s (NAMB) Send Network, joined N.C. Baptist staff members Brian Upshaw and Mike Pittman to share about the new SendNC church planting partnership between NAMB and the state convention.
- In his address to messengers, Executive Director-Treasurer Todd Unzicker highlighted opportunities for churches to be sending churches and examples of how N.C. Baptists are being on mission together.
- Derrick DeLain, lead pastor of Proclamation Church in Nashville, Tenn., preached a message on engaging with one another as the family of God from Romans 12.
Tuesday highlights & reminders
- Download the N.C. Baptist mobile app for access to information, resources and details pertaining to the annual meeting.
- The exhibit halls are open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Visit the “Hear Their Story” booth in the Guilford Exhibit Hall throughout the day on Tuesday to hear inspiring stories of individuals and churches who are on mission together. Many of these individuals are featured in the special “Story Walk” stations throughout the convention center and exhibit hall.
- Visit the “Share Your Story” booth to record a video of how you are being on mission together that you take back to your church.
- Attendees will have the opportunity to attend breakout sessions at two designated times during Tuesday’s program. Breakout sessions are scheduled from 11 a.m. to noon and again at 3:30-4:30 p.m. A complete list of breakout session titles and descriptions is available at ncannualmeeting.org/breakouts and on the N.C. Baptist mobile app.
- A listening session for the proposed 2023 Cooperative Program budget is scheduled for 7:30 a.m. in the Pinehurst Room.
- Institution and agency reports from representatives of the N.C. Baptist Foundation, N.C. Baptist Hospital, the Baptist Children’s Homes of North Carolina and the Biblical Recorder will be presented at 8:45 a.m.
- The first board of directors’ report is scheduled for 9:15 a.m. The report will include the consideration of a series of proposed changes to the convention’s articles and bylaws, consideration of a change in relationship between the state convention and N.C. Baptist Hospital, and an update on the review of state convention policies, procedures and practices related to sexual abuse.
- Time allotted for miscellaneous business is scheduled to begin at 9:45 a.m.
- State convention president Micheal Pardue, pastor of First Baptist Church Icard in Connelly Springs, is scheduled to deliver his president’s address at 10:05 a.m.
- Election of 2023 convention officers is scheduled for 2 p.m. This is a fixed order of business.
- A series of reports from the Historical Committee, the Committee on Nominations, and the Committee on Resolutions and Memorials is scheduled for 2:30 p.m.
- The second board of directors’ report, which will include the presentation of the 2023 Cooperative Program budget proposal, is scheduled for 2:40 p.m. This is a fixed order of business.
- N.C. Baptists on Mission will share a report at 3:10 p.m.
- The evening session will include a worship service, featuring a sermon by Mac Brunson, senior pastor of Valleydale Church in Birmingham, Ala.
- Messengers are encouraged to provide feedback on this year’s annual meeting through the N.C. Baptist mobile app, by texting the word EVALUATION to 313131, or by completing the evaluation form in the back of the annual meeting program.
- Receive live updates about annual meeting through the official Baptist State Convention of North Carolina social media channels by following @ncbaptist on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. The official 2022 annual meeting hashtag is #OnMissionTogether.