LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary President Danny Akin will chair the Resolutions Committee named by Southern Baptist Convention (SBC) President Johnny Hunt and two North Carolina pastors will join him on the committee.
Akin will be joined by Michael Cloer, pastor of Englewood Baptist Church in Rocky Mount, and Al Gilbert, pastor of Calvary Baptist Church in Winston-Salem, along with seven other committee members.
The procedure for submitting resolutions is as follows according to Bylaw 20:
- Proposed resolutions may be submitted as early as April 15 but no later than 15 days prior to the SBC annual meeting, giving the Resolutions Committee a two-week period in which to consider submissions. Resolutions may no longer be submitted during the annual meeting.
- Proposed resolutions must be accompanied by a letter from a church qualified to send a messenger to the SBC annual meeting certifying that the individual submitting the resolution is a member in good standing.
- Proposed resolutions preferably should be submitted by e-mail or mailed to the Resolutions Committee in care of the SBC Executive Committee. The drafts must be typewritten, titled, dated and include complete contact information for the person and his or her church.
- No person will be allowed to submit more than three resolutions per year.
- If a properly submitted resolution is not forwarded by the Resolutions Committee to the SBC annual meeting, a two-thirds vote of messengers would be required to bring the proposed resolution to the convention floor.
(EDITOR’S NOTE — All resolutions adopted by the SBC can be searched and read on the web at http://www.sbc.net/resolutions/AMResSearch.asp.)